Thermite = incendiary, available to civilian workers without security clearance, and tested on Mythbusters.
Nano-thermite = also known as "super-thermite", explosives, not available to the public, controlled substance, "bunker busters", discussed in MIT Review
Dr. Andrej Miziolek of the Weapons and Materials Research Directorate, US Army Research Laboratory, gave a talk on the Weoponization of Advanced Endergetic Techologies. (see attached). He did not talk about the applications for cutting steel, but about making more powerful bombs = weapons.
Lawrence Livermore labs has an article on "Nanoscale Chemistry Yields Better Explosives"
There are many possible thermodynamically stable fuel-oxidizer combinations. Some of them are:
- Aluminium-molybdenum(VI) oxide
- Aluminium-copper(II) oxide
- Aluminium-iron(II,III) oxide
- Antimony-potassium permanganate
- Aluminium-potassium permanganate
- Aluminium-bismuth(III) oxide
- Aluminium-tungsten(VI) oxide hydrate
- Aluminium-fluoropolymer (typically Viton)
- Titanium-boron (burns to titanium diboride)
The "not exists" argument has been blown out of the water.There is a good debate about it at