The War We Don't See 2010 film by John Pilger
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Feds to use unmanned Predator aircraft drones to hunt ocean smugglers
Published on 12-08-2009
SAN DIEGO — U.S. Customs and Border Protection on Monday took delivery of its first Predator aircraft drone to scan U.S. waters for smugglers.
The Predator B is expected to begin testing in early 2010 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Base in Florida and be used in the Caribbean to combat drug trafficking.
The plane has an enhanced radar system compared to the Predator B that has been used to combat drug smuggling and movement of illegal immigrants on land borders for four years. CBP operates three drones from Libby Army Airfield in Sierra Vista, Ariz., and two from Grand Forks Air Force Base in North Dakota.
Another Predator B for maritime use is expected at Cape Canaveral in January, said CBP spokesman Juan Munoz-Torres. The agency plans to eventually have 12 drones for land patrols and six for maritime patrols.
The planes can be disassembled and flown in C-130 cargo planes to other locations but it is unlikely that the first plane will be used in San Diego, Munoz-Torres said. The Southern California seas has been the site of a surge in illegal immigrant smuggling from Mexico.
The plane delivered Monday was made by General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. in Palmdale, north of Los Angeles, for $13.5 million. Future deliveries are expected to cost $11 million to $12 million.
- ► 2010 (18)
- Happy Holidays
- Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and...
- Obama Administration Diverts Small Business Funds ...
- Defence bill allows $6.8 billion for 30 F-35 Joint...
- UFO's & Exotic Weapons @ WTC Disaster?
- Ramfjordmoen, EISCAT, & spiral anolamies in Norway...
- Feds to use unmanned Predator aircraft drones to ...
- Explosive acts of terror in Baghdad are all about ...
- Plasma EMF DEW Laser Extraterrestrial Weapons
- One Nation Under Siege
- NUTRIMEDICAL REPORT SHOW
- Peace keeping and stability operations institute
- Sibel Edmonds wants hearings
- Ouspenski: In Search of the Miraculous
- The Bahá'í World Centre at the base of Mt Carmel
- Mt. Carmel: A holy place since ancient times
- "This film is neither a work of fiction, nor a doc...
- Main stream media does business as usual while his...
- Zoe Keating Plays"Escape Artist"
- Some history of US involvement in the middle East
- Star Wars in Iraq
- Project Bluebeam Video
- Steal This Movie
- Star wars returns
- An early Republican viewpoint
- ~Ode to Duhbya~
- ▼ December (28)